My True Love

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

MY SILLY KL LIFE

Coming to KL was a big leap for me, done with my eyes closed. I was luckily dumped in Singapore, left with little money (thank God for my friend Coly), to top it all off...MY TREASURES WERE IN MANILA - I'm talking about my shoes, clothes. How much worse could it be? All my life I have always been in my comfort zone, with my baby poochies and kitties, family, friends and NANNIES! My life begins a new chapter, and this is why I fell in love with the city...

1. LOOKING AT THE BRIGHTER SIDE OF THINGS...
I was overwhelmed with the difference of Singapore and KL that I truly got the shock of my life. Coming straight from the comforts of Singapore's secure and orderly system, I cried myself to sleep for 3 days, in disbelief that I can't even walk to 7-eleven on my own, everything is too far that I need a car while being warned about rape cases of cab drivers if I do take a taxi etc. Transport system sucks, my driver is not around anymore to bring me to places, nor do I have a car. And so, on my first weekend, I literally rushed back to Singapore. On the way back to KL, I made friends with my seatmate Mark (awesome dude who now works in Australia), and he painted a positive view of KL that made me think that things will somehow be better. I have never seen him since, but we keep in touch, and one thing he said after patiently hearing all my griping was "Give KL a chance". Now I'm a firm believer that bad luck will strike you "ONLY IF YOU'RE STUPID." I say, it's the same BS, different country...thus

2. MY GROWING PAINS
I have never EVER done my own laundry before. Prior to moving, I truly detested washing dishes and would rather eat out or make "tapau"(chinese word that means take out). My room is a mess, clothes and shoes all over the place - thus I try to be a “celibate shopper” (I need Loony to fold my clothes neatly). Initially I was offended when my friend asked me to iron his shirt, I told him “go get yourself a maid”. However, being a domestic newbie is quite enjoyable, for the meantime. No one will marry me after reading this, but don’t get me wrong … at least I can cook!!! Disclaimer: Never be dependent on microwave unless you’re born lazy.

3. PARTY TILL WE DROP... err till 3am only lah!
Such a hard task to do considering “partying” is so new to me (tsk tsk). Believe me, doing this keeps one youngER. So on my first day of work, without reservations I asked my colleague Lynn – “So, who goes clubbing?” She quickly pointed out the "Queen and Princess" of clubbing (their identities shall remain a secret, but you can call princess "Loony" for now). My new galpals took me to a Foam Party at Liquid, t'was an exhilarating experience. Next day, while sleeping in the comforts of mah transit home at Ann Tu's, my colleague Susan (she has shown me the perfect place to party) took me to Cynna Bar. This is one night I shall never forget! - I'll explain later. One time, Princess Clubber "Loony" asks me "Where do you want to go?" I suggested Cynna Bar ... Loony excitedly says out loud "I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH GOOD LOOKING MEN IN 1 PLACE AT ONE TIME!!!" While poor Alisa was pestered by the DOMs (Dirty Old Men - no punn intended!) So that explains it :) THANK YOU SUSAN CHEE!

4. CATWALK THE STREETS OF KL
My ex-housemate Shanice always makes sure that I get to the other side of the road safely while walking like a supah mowdel! But when she’s not around to hold my elbow (like I'm an "Auntie"), I learned to RUNNNNNNNNN with my pal Romain to Sungei Wang Mall wearing my 3-in heels, or walk the walk with galpal Pagan.


5. EAT AT THE "FOOD COURT" (Chinese) or MAMAK (Halal only)

What one needs is a big appetite and an empty stomach to survive this. Words won't do justice to this Malaysian experience, my mouth waters thinking about the taste of each dish - It would be nice to do a food review hmmmm. My favorites are Nasi Lemak, Prawn Mee, and Soup Kambing! My other ex-housemate Linda introduced me to a popular Malaysian activity called "yumcha" (like drinking session with NO ALCOHOL) at a Mamak near our house. I am addicted to teh tarik (tea with condensed milk ayayay!) and the elusive, hard to find cendol.

6. R-E-S-P-E-C-T DIVERSITY
KL embraces the individuality of its people, culture and the oh so yummy food. I have been blessed with warm, kind-hearted friends who like to party (of course), and I could never ask for more.

Up till 6 months ago, I could only dream of the life that I live now. With the people I meet, things I see and experience, my silly KL life isn't so bad after all.


... I am reborn.

A toast to lasting friendships and a lifetime of fun-filled KL memories!

1 comment:

parwati said...

I love cendol, and Ron too.. begging me everytime to make one :)

Lucky me we have all those yummy foods also here - rather expensive, eating south-easth asian's street food here like eating in fancy resto in KL ha ha ha